© Steve Kahn, The Hollywood Suites, 1974-1976
Courtesy of Joseph Bellows Gallery
Acclaimed as a showcase for the best in the photographic arts, photo l.a. continues to be one of the most dynamic and energized art fairs in the world. We invite you to participate and join in our success.
Since 1992, over 300 galleries, private dealers and publishers have participated and exhibited at photo l.a. More than 200 lectures, panels and collecting seminars have been presented. photo l.a.'s rich and distinguished history has influenced the transforming art/photography landscape of Los Angeles. Many important artists have been introduced to the public at photo l.a. and we are honored to have introduced many important artists to the public and to have played a crucial role in the cultural life of Los Angeles.
With over 10,000 visitors photo l.a. is the best platform for meeting with collectors, curators and artists in Los Angeles. Our outstanding programming series continues to address the most current topics in the converging worlds of art and photography.
• Docent tours of the fair with experts in photography: Keith F. Davis, (Senior Curator of Photography, Nelson-Atkins Museum), Weston Naef (Curator Emeritus, Dept. of Photographs, The J. Paul Getty Museum), Gordon Baldwin (former Curator, Dept.of Photographs, The J. Paul Getty Museum) and Deborah Bell (Vice President, Specialist Head of Photographs Department, Christie’s)
• Mapplethorpe at LACMA and the Getty – Los Angeles County Museum of Art curator Britt Salvesen (Robert Mapplethorpe: XYZ) and Curator of Photographs at the Getty Research Institute, Francis Terpak (In Focus: Robert Mapplethorpe), will discuss the simultaneous exhibitions of the artist's work.
• Matthew Thompson, curator and author of "The Anxiety of Photography", will lead a round table discussion with a mix of younger Los Angeles artists including Andrea Longacre- White, Anthony Pearson and David Benjamin Sherry, who hybridize photography with other media to explore its materiality.
• The Architectural Photograph with Gordon Baldwin (former Curator, Dept. of Photographs, The J. Paul Getty Museum), Edward Cella (Edward Cella Art+Architecture Gallery) and others TBA
• Art in Fashion, roundtable discusion with Ivan Shaw (Photography Director at Vogue Magazine)
• The Photo Book with Dian Hanson (Taschen Book Editor), Jonathan Brown (Leadapron) and others TBA
• Latin American Photography, roundtable with Idurre Alonso (Chief Curator of the Museum of Latin American Art) and others TBA
• New Technologies & Social Media, roundtable with Nicholas Fahey (Developer of ArtBookApps) and others TBA
• Bill Eppridge, noted photojournalist, speaks on his experiences documenting the 1960s, specifically, Robert F. Kennedy's final campaign.
• Photographer Josephine Sacabo will discuss her trajectory from documentary street photographer to her current work using the etched photogravure as her exclusive form of printmaking.
• Meg Partridge, filmmaker, will speak about her father, Rondal Partridge, and his photographic work. Rondal Partridge was the son of Imogen Cunningham, whose mentors and colleagues included Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange and Edward Weston.
• Artillery Magazine hosts one of its infamous Face Off debates with Colin Westerbrook
• New Sales Platforms roundtable with Heritage Auctions, 1stdibs and artnet.
• photoBOOK LA, a new platform for boutique publishers & book artists at photo l.a.
photo l.a., the 22nd Los Angeles International Photographic Art Exposition, takes place January 18 - 21, 2013 at the historic Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Opening with a gala reception on Thursday, January 17, 2012. Please visit www.photola.com for fair and programming news.