The Zurich Chamber Orchestra will perform at the opening of the Johannesburg International Mozart Festival. Sir Roger Norrington, a leading light on the classical music scene for almost 50 years, will conduct the orchestra with celebrated South African clarinetist Robert Pickup as soloist in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Stellenbosch and Cape Town this January.
• Sunday, 27 January 2013, Johannesburg, Linder Auditorium (Opening Concert of the Johannesburg International Mozart Festival 2013)
• Monday, 28 January 2013, Pretoria, Unisa - ZK Mathews Hall (as part of the Unisa Music Foundation Concert Series)
• Tuesday, 29 January 2013, Durban, City Hall o (Celebration of the KwaZulu-Natal Philhamonic Orchestra’s 30th anniversary)
• Thursday, 31 January 2013, Stellenbosch, Endler Hall (as part of the Endler Concert Series)
• Friday, February 1 Cape Town concert at the New Apostolic Church in Silvertown (near the Joseph Stone Auditorium in Athlone)
The programme for each concert will consist of the following:
• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Divertimento D Major K.136
• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra, A Major K.622 with Robert Pickup, Clarinet
• Fabian Müller (1964 -) Labyrinth (2005)
• Ludwig van Beethoven – Symphony No 5 C minor Op.67
The Zurich Chamber Orchestra (ZKO) was established immediately after the Second World War and is one of the leading ensembles of its kind. Regular invitations to international festivals, performances in the major musical centres of Europe, extended concert tours through various European countries as well as the United States and China bear witness to the Zurich Chamber Orchestra’s worldwide reputation. Numerous critically acclaimed CDs document the ensemble’s artistic work.