login    password    artist  buyer  gallery  
Not a member? Register
Indepth Arts News:

"ArtBrussels Celebrates Its 20th Birthday on the International Scene"
2002-05-02 until 2002-05-06
Art Brussels 2002
Brussels, , BE Belgium

From 2 to 6 May, ArtBrussels 2002, the international Contemporary Art Fair, will celebrate its 20th edition as a first class event with worldwide scope. Gathering 145 renowned galleries, ArtBrussels will again be held in Halls 3 and 4 of Brussels Expo and expects to welcome some 25.000 visitors, all of whom will help to blow out the 20 birthday candles…

After 20 editions, the originally modest art fair has become an important international meeting place for contemporary art. However, its original ideals are still intact: the fair remains an intimate event, with a select range of participants and renowned artists.

In 1968, the Association of Contemporary Art Galleries decided to launch " Art Actuel " in Brussels, and in doing so, set the standard for one of the oldest art fairs in Europe. While the biannual was targeted at a limited audience, this did not prevent it from quickly attaining an international reputation becoming known as being of a particularly high standard. Attendance of collectors and lovers of contemporary art increases every year.

In 1997, the gallery association entrusted the organisation of the fair to Eric Everard, a professional fair organiser: a big turning point for the fair! Immediately this expert in "the Art of Exhibitions" brought new momentum and life to " Art Actuel ", by giving it a new name, a new image and opening it up to a larger audience. And so ArtBrussels was born. It became an annual event and the property of Eric Everard’s company, Artexis, which continues to work closely with the gallery association.

The fame of ArtBrussels has grown ever since, getting itself a reputation on the international scene. It relies on the participation of first class galleries as well as an informed public, whose numbers are ever increasing. This 20th edition should not be any different.

From 2 to 6 May, approximately 145 galleries will be participating at ArtBrussels 2002. Like every year, a rigorous and exclusive short list of participants has been drawn up in order to retain the intimate atmosphere of the event. With this in mind, 70% of the galleries come from abroad while the other 30% are Belgian, a mix of well-known artists as well as a variety of young artists from the contemporary art scene. These artists will be exhibited together in the " Young Galleries " zone, alongside the other established artists.

Alain Josseau
Le Printemps, 2002,
One in a seris of3 photographs
40x40 cm
edition of 4
Represented by Galerie Sollertis

Related Links:


Discover over 150,000 works of contemporary art. Search by medium, subject matter, price and theme... research over 200,000 works by over 22,000 masters in the indepth art history section. Browse through new Art Blogs. Use our advanced artwork search interface.

Call for Artists, Premiere Portfolio sign-up for your Free Portfolio or create an Artist Portfolio today and sell your art at the marketplace for contemporary Art! Start a Gallery Site to exclusively showcase your gallery. Keep track of contemporary art with your free MYabsolutearts account.


Copyright 1995-2013. World Wide Arts Resources Corporation. All rights reserved