Indepth Arts News: |
"Early Hong Kong Brothels: Photographs from the Collection of Mr. CHENG Po Hung"
2003-11-26 until 2004-02-29
University Museum and Art Gallery, The University of Hong Kong
HK Hong Kong
Hong Kong brothels have a long history. In the mid-19th century, the earliest brothels were established in and around Lyndhurst Terrace where western prostitutes concentrated. Chinese brothels which were known as “Tai Ping Shan Brothels” were found around the Tai Ping Shan area near Po Hing Fong. The brothels gradually moved to Possession Street. In 1903, they relocated to Shek Tong Tsui which rapidly developed into a prosperous red-light district.
In Wan Chai, western and Chinese prostitutes flocked together along Spring Garden Lane which was known as Big Number Brothels since a big numberplate was hung in front of each brothel. The brothels Ma Tei Fa Kwok located at Yau Ma Tei were established in the 1880s.
This exhibition features approximately one hundred photographs, all of which are from the collection of Mr. CHENG Po Hung, a renowned expert on Hong Kong history. Viewers can reminisce about the old Hong Kong through these photographs and have a better understanding of the development of Hong Kong brothels from the 1850s to 1960s. The Museum will publish a book with numerous old photographs of the areas described, written by Mr. CHENG Po Hung.
Ms. So-mui of Yee Tsui Brothel,
Shek Tong Tsui, 1931.