The Orlando Museum of Art (OMA) Associates are seeking local artists to participate in the sixth season of 1st Thursdays themed art events. Themes include Say It With Clay and Super Heroes and Super Villains for the events which will take place March through September 2005.
Schedule of Events
Say It With Clay - March 3, 2005 (deadline for entry February 11, 2005)
For centuries, ceramic work has adorned our life. This event showcases a variety of works made from clay ń from floor to ceiling and everything in between. Submissions to include small- to large-scale clay works.
The Art of Dance - April 7, 2005 (deadline for entry March 11, 2005)
A celebration of the art of dance and dance in art, especially ballet. All art media are encouraged.
Femme Fatale - May 5, 2005 (deadline for entry April 15, 2005)
This event is all about women and the things women love. All art media by women artists are encouraged.
Le Chaise Chaud: The Hot Seat - June 2, 2005 (deadline for entry May 13, 2005)
This art event centers around chairs, chairs and more chairs! Artists are invited to create works of art from those chairs found in garages or attics. Submissions can also include original works of art in the form of a chair and paintings and sculpture depicting chairs.
Super Heroes and Super Villains - July 7, 2005 (deadline for entry June 10, 2005)
The majesty and power of fictitious and real-world super heroes and super villains throughout the ages come to life through artists' renditions shaped by wind, earth and fire. All art media are encouraged.
Put Your Art On - August 4, 2005 (deadline for entry July 15, 2005)
A reminder that everything we wear, the fads we follow and our own unique sense of style are artistic statements. All art media are encouraged including visual, fiber, clothing, jewelry, accessories and body-oriented art, such as hair, makeup and nails. Adorn and transform - the body is the canvas.
Seems So Surreal - September 1, 2005 (deadline for entry August 12, 2005)
This event is more than a bit odd - featuring works inspired by the Surrealist movement. All art media are encouraged.
Rules of Entry
1. The non-refundable application fee is $15 per artist, per event.
2. Submit slides or photographs of each work of art to be considered. (Do not submit computer disks.) Please label with your name and the title of the piece. Please put an arrow indicating the top of the slide. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope large enough to return submissions. Original works of art are not to be submitted.
3. No substitutions of works of art selected will be accepted.
4. Each artist may submit up to three (3) works of art per event.
5. All art media are accepted, unless otherwise stated.
6. Submissions must be completed works of art. Unfinished works will not be considered.
7. Any works of art "for sale," or with a strong potential for sale prior to the show, are not to be submitted.
8. Application must include an artist's statement. The Associates will provide the final copy for display during the event.
9. Application must include title, size and medium of each piece being submitted.
10. All works of art must be original and created after December 31, 2002.
11. Submissions received after the deadline will not be accepted.
12. Submission of works by the artist and acceptance by the Curating Committee is an agreement to show the submitted works.
13. All decisions of the Curating Committee are final.
14. Artists will be notified by mail of acceptance or rejection by the Tuesday following the deadline for entry. The OMA will not be responsible for any loss or damage to slides, photographs or other forms of submission.
15. Accepted artists are required to label each work of art with their name, phone number and title of work. Works of art must be "gallery ready" when brought to the OMA the day of the event (i.e., all mounting hardware and wire must be included and attached).
16. The OMA does not provide insurance. Artists will be required to sign an insurance waiver.
Orlando Museum of Art Museum Shop Florida Artist of the Month
Continuing this season is the incorporation of the Museum Shop Florida Artist of the Month program into the 1st Thursdays program. At each 1st Thursdays, the Museum Shop Manager selects two artists as a "Florida Artist of the Month Candidate." Only these artists will be considered for a future Florida Artist of the Month exhibition based on their work meeting the program's criteria.
For more information or to receive a Call for Artists' application, please call (407) 896-4231, Ext. 256, e-mail 1stThursdays@omart.org, visit www.OMArt.org or stop by the OMA at 2416 N. Mills Avenue, Orlando, FL 32803-1483.