The Irish writer, James Joyce, once said to an artist painting him: "Never mind my soul, just be sure you have my tie right." The Association For Visual Arts, in keeping with what seems to be a renewed interest in portraiture, is hosting a portrait exhibition from 31 July to 18 August 2006. This will take the form of a selected exhibition at AVA in all three gallery spaces.
CONDITIONS APPLY. Please keep this notice if you wish to enter.
1. This will be a SELECTED exhibition. The artworks for exhibition will be selected by the AVA's selection panel from the entries received physically - no selection will be made from images sent via e-mail or disc. The panel's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
2. While this is a portrait exhibition, artistic freedom applies. You are free to interpret "portrait" as you wish.
3. One work per artist is allowed.
4. The work may be in any medium as long as it is an original artwork. This includes ceramic, printmaking, photography and digital mediums, inter alia.
5. You do not need to be a member of AVA to submit work, but if your work is selected for exhibition, you will need to pay AVA subs for 2006, if not already paid. Subs are R75 per person or R30 for students or pensioners.
6. There will be a public vote for the "best piece" on the show. The winner will receive art materials to the value of R1 000 (one thousand rands). Efforts will be made to publicize the winner.
7. All works must be for sale.
8. All entries must be accompanied by their relevant details, i.e. name of artist, title of work, medium, date, and selling price which must include AVA's commission of one third of the selling price.
9. All entries must be ready to be exhibited/hung. If the display of a work is complicated, the artist will be required to set up his/her own piece.
10. Date for submission of entries is Wednesday, 26 and Thursday 27 July 2006 from 10 am to 4 pm. Works not selected must be collected on Saturday, 29 July 2006 between 10.00 and 12.30.
11. The exhibition of selected entries will open on Monday, 31 July at 6 pmand run until Friday, 18 August at 1 pmin all three gallery spaces at AVA, after which the exhibited works must be collected, preferably on the same day before 5 pm.
12. All artwork is exhibited/left in the gallery at the artists' own risk as AVA's insurance policy does not cover theft, burglary or accidental damage.
13. Please indicate your interest in submitting a work by phoning AVA on 021 424 7436, faxing 021 423 2637 or e-mailing on email@example.com before 30 June 2006.
Supported by the National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund
Gallery hours: Weekdays 10h00 to 17h00. Saturdays: 10h00 to 13h00 Enquiries: AVA tel: 021 424 7436,
fax: 021 423 2637
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.ava.co.za