For the last twelve years, Beatrice Van Winden, has lived on Vancouver Island, and has always had an interest in photography and the Arts, for as far back as she can remember the arts.
Beatrice studied art and photography throughout her school years, and has continued to do so, on the island:
- Traditional photography with Mitch Stringer and Susan Mulgreine-Professional photographers & teachers at various local colleges of photography.
- Darkroom processing, & B/W photography with Professional photographer Bradford Stevenson & teacher at the Victoria college of photography.
- Digital darkroom with professional photographer Andrew Ciesielski.
- She studied art with Wendy Welsh, John Drake, Xane St-Francis at the Vancouver College of art, Camosun .
- She studied Art Marketing with Alice Cormier, a well-known Vancouver Art Marketing Consultant.
Beatrice combined her knowledge of traditional photography and art to create unique photos. The website Arts of Canada has described her photos as “Photos with a digital edge”. Her photos are often thought of as beautiful paintings. She is known for her ability to see and capture colors with her traditional camera in a unique way.
She is a member of the:
- She is a member of the Canadian Association for Photographic Art.
-She is a certified judge for photography contests.
- A member of the Community Arts Council of the Saanich Peninsula.
- Most of her work is done by assignments. You can view one of her many assignments in the October issue of the Focus Magazine page 34 & 15.
- She tutors traditional photography, traditional darkroom processing & digital darkroom.
- She gives presentations to different organizations
- She takes photos of paintings for artist’s portfolios
- She does trade shows
- You can see her photos in Art Galleries in Victoria.
- She sales her photography around the world through her web-site
Her most recent achievements/2005
- The Sooke Fine Art Show –sold her photos to collector
- Winspear Fine Art show- sold her photo to a collector
- Wildlife Arc Refuge - She was asked to donate one of her photos to be auctioned with known artists Robert Bateman, Sue Coleman etc.
- Collectors from around the world buys her photos on her website.
- Her work has been published in sport magazines and local magazines.
Over the years, she has manage to compile her Business Administration skills with her love of nature, photography and art, through her work as a Municipal Administrator, politician and her work with the University of Montreal promoting research and preservation of Marshlands. She volunteered at the Marine Museum in Sidney and is presently a volunteer as a bookkeeper at The Gallery in Brentwood Bay.
On a windy day you can find Beatrice photographing wind/ kite surfers at local beaches. On other days she is outdoors photographing fauna and flora. When asked what is her goal as a photographer, she replies, “ that the viewers enjoys looking at her photos, as much, as she enjoys taking them”. You can view her work at www.windsurfers.homestead.com.