The statue is 3.75 meters high and stands on a 2.5 m. high granite pedestal with the inscription: "6 juli 1849".
It is in memory of the Dansih victory 6 July 1849 and is unconditional Fredericia's most famous monument.
District Governor in Vejle Orla Lehmann, throw a party after the speech, the statue revealed during stormy cheers, cannon thunder and fanfare, while the old
sculptor touched stood and watched his work. The old sculptor was Herman Wilhelm Bissen. Bissen first studied painting in Copenhagen, then became a pupil of the sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen. In 1824, he travelled to Rome and met Christian Daniel Rauch in Berlin. Under the influence of Thorvaldsen, his style
changed from romanticism to neo-classicism. Back in Denmark, Bissen became professor at the Academy of Arts, Copenhagen in 1834, changing in style to
realism. Among his memorable works are Landsoldaten and the Isted Lion (1862) (originally in Flensburg, now Copenhagen), the gold-plated statue of Bishop
Absalon on the front of the Copenhagen City Hall and many smaller pieces.
This Country Soldier motif was introduced to Fredericia by a Y's Men's Club near Fredericia. It was printed as a poster and sold. It was as well used as logo
for Y's Men's Club's Area Convention 1989.