Kontraktova square - the area in the Podilsky district of the city of Kyiv, the district of Podil.
Kontraktova square - one of the oldest in Kiev, arose during the times of Kievan Rus. In 1123-1136 there was built the Church of the Virgin Pirogoshcha. After the destruction of the Upper Mongol Tatars, the center of Kiev moved to Podil, and Kontraktova Square became central.
In the 15th century the town hall was built here, later - the old well-fountain Samson. In the 16th-18th centuries near the square arose the complex of the Bratsky Monastery. The name of the contract area arose because the merchants of Kiev entered into contracts on this particular area, and from the end of the XVIII century there were annual international trade fairs. This was due to the fact that Kontraktova Square was located near the port of Kiev, which was the main source of export-import supplies.
Cities, Cityscape, Home, Places, Architecture, City, Square, Building, People, Grey, Blac, Original Painting, Cityscape Painting